Reporting

Unable to filter CLI export

emiller42
Motivator

Hello!

I'm trying to export a subset of logs indexed on one indexer, and then import them into another. I'm attempting to use the cli export tool to do this, and am running into issues.

If I run the following:

./splunk export eventdata -index main -dir /tmp/export

then I get a successful export of everything that has been indexed by the server. Unfortunately, this is far more data than I actually want to export. To try and narrow it down, I'm using further export flags, but they don't appear to be working at all. I'm trying to get a specific set of log files from specific hosts.

Using commands like the following:

./splunk export eventdata -index main -dir /tmp/export -host HOSTNAME

./splunk export eventdata -index main -dir /tmp/export -source LOGFILEPATH

I simply get nothing exported. I've verified that the host name and logfile info is correct, so I'm at a loss as to what is causing it to return nothing. I am assuming that the -host flag is used to denote the forwarder that the logs originated from, and that the -source is the full path of the logfile. (Ex: 'D:\apache-tomcat-6.0.32\bin\server.log'. I have tried it both escaped and not)

Has anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

alexiri
Communicator

Yeah, I'm seeing this as well on version 2.4.3. It turns out this is a known issue (SPL-45694) and it's currently being investigated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

xli_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I tested following commands with 4.3.3 release and both work fine:
splunk export eventdata -index main -dir /temp/events.out -source 'C:\work\test\test.log'
splunk export eventdata -index main -dir /temp/raven -host 'raven-PC'

0 Karma

alexiri
Communicator

Yeah, I'm seeing this as well on version 2.4.3. It turns out this is a known issue (SPL-45694) and it's currently being investigated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...