Reporting

Timed out waiting for status to become available on job=xxxx

wanling
Path Finder

I have a dashboard consisting of 6 reports. The dashboard can be rendered online or viewed as PDF at "Schedule for PDF Delivery"'s preview mode. It takes about 1-2min for the whole dashboard to be rendered. However, the last 2 reports cannot be rendered (i.e. no chart or table is showed) when the dashboard is generated by the scheduler and received in email. The error of "Timed out waiting for status to become available on job=xxx" is showed at the top of the PDF file. When I look for the job at the "job" panel, the search job is showed as "Done" there.

Why is there a difference when the scheduler is used? And how should i troubleshoot the issue?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

wanling
Path Finder

I've figured out it's due to the permission setting of the two macros that are used in the two reports. It was previously set to "Private", but the time-out problem did not occur again for last night's run after i changed to "App". Probably when the job is triggered by the scheduler, the macros are not visible to the credential the scheduler uses and therefore the scheduler fails to get the result. The error message is somewhat not very clear on this.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

wanling
Path Finder

I've figured out it's due to the permission setting of the two macros that are used in the two reports. It was previously set to "Private", but the time-out problem did not occur again for last night's run after i changed to "App". Probably when the job is triggered by the scheduler, the macros are not visible to the credential the scheduler uses and therefore the scheduler fails to get the result. The error message is somewhat not very clear on this.

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The PDF server acts like it is taking a screenshot of your browser's page. But it acts like a camera on a timer--If you're not ready when the timer goes off, your photo reflects that. It sounds like this dashboard is taking longer to complete its searches than the timer for the PDF server snapshot.

You might try the solution listed here.

Alternatively, you could break the dashboard into smaller pieces (say, two or three graphs per) and send them separately.

It's also possible that the searches could benefit from conversion to summary indexed data, particularly if they're producing high-level summary reports. See here for more info about that.

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What I meant with the camera analogy was that "the PDF will take a snapshot of the state of the dashboard at time X, if the searches aren't done by then, they won't be in the PDF." If the report takes say two minutes to render, and the snapshot is taken at X=90 seconds, then the slow-running searches won't be complete, and I believe this is what you're seeing.

Have you tried altering the timeout as described in that other solution?

0 Karma

wanling
Path Finder

The time-out is not on the rendering of the PDF report itself. The PDF file is indeed generated and sent via email. However, two of the searches in the report encountered time-out problem

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...