Reporting

Splunk metrics and counters

peiffer
Path Finder

What is the appropriate way to calculate a sum of metric rates on counters and sum them, either for a single stat or for a timechart?  What does the rate() of a metric mean?  rate/sample or rate/second?   I am looking for guidance.

I am extracting bind9 stats from our dozen DNS recursive servers every 5 minutes.  The stats are counters. I am extracting the stats every 10 minutes so that I can get 2 samples each for rate calculations.

Base search:
| mstats rate(QrySuccess) as QrySuccess rate(QryFailure) as QryFailure rate(QrySERVFAIL) as QrySERVFAIL rate(QryFORMERR) as QryFORMERR
    rate(QryNXDOMAIN) as QryNXDOMAIN rate(QryRecursion) as QryRecursion
    prestats=false  WHERE index="test_network_metrics" AND host="*" span=10m by host
| fields *

SingleStat Panel
| fields QrySuccess
| eval Success=QrySuccess/300
| stats sum(Success)
success_qps.png
Timechart Panel
| fields QrySuccess host
| timechart span=10m latest(QrySuccess) as Success by host

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 6.24.55 AM.png

The numbers don't exactly look right as at peak I am expecting traffic on the order of thousands per second.  I am thinking that I botched the stats.  System wide, I am running about 14M qph or about 3900 qps.  If I leave off the division by 300 convert 5min to 1sec, it looks closer to normal, or about 30% of what I am expecting.  Below is what I get from processing hourly summaries of DNS query transaction logs.

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 6.06.41 AM.png

I experimented with summing the latest on the target field, but the numbers come out about the same.

| fields QrySuccess host
| fillnull value=0.0 QrySuccess
| stats latest(QrySuccess) as Success by host
| addcoltotals labelfield=host fieldname=Success
| tail 1
| fields Success

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...