Reporting

Search command filtering not providing accurate results

Mary666
Communicator

Hello Splunk Community, 

I have two indexes: index=vc_xyz_idx  and index=xp_zzz_summary_idx and I am checking to see if a value named docNum is in the index=xp_zzz_summary_idx. The docNum should be in both indexes, but I am only interested in the docNum missing from index=xp_zzz_summary_idx .  I have created two eval's and renamed the indexes, since they both have the same field name - index. The issue is that I am getting false negatives. I have put in 
| search Missing_in_Blue="No"  because I only want the docNum that is missing in index=xp_zzz_summary_idx, but I get docNum that is actually in the  index=xp_zzz_summary_idx. Can someone please help?

(index="vc_xyz_idx")  OR (index="xp_zzz_summary_idx") | eval Blue=case(index=index="xp_zzz_summary_idx", docNum), Missing_in_Blue=if(docNum==xp_zzz_summary_idx, "Yes", "No") | search Missing_in_Blue="No"  | stats values(Missing_in_Blue) as Missing_in_Blue by docNum

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mary666,

Please try using below search;

(index="vc_xyz_idx") OR (index="xp_zzz_summary_idx") 
| stats dc(index) as count values(index) as indexes by docNum
| where count=1 AND indexes!="xp_zzz_summary_idx"
If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

View solution in original post

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Nice to know it helped you 🙂

Since there are many events count would be unpredicted number, that is why I used dc (distinct count) which will result 1 or 2 for sure. I just used count as a name to use in further commands easier.

Mary666
Communicator

Yes, this is exactly what I was struggling with - the count issue, since the count could be 1 or 2 for the index and I only needed those where the count=1 and I see how dc helped with that. Thanks for clarifying this for me. 

0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Mary666,

Please try using below search;

(index="vc_xyz_idx") OR (index="xp_zzz_summary_idx") 
| stats dc(index) as count values(index) as indexes by docNum
| where count=1 AND indexes!="xp_zzz_summary_idx"

Mary666
Communicator

Mainly just want to know why you used dc instead of values... 

0 Karma

Mary666
Communicator

Thanks! this seems to have worked 🙂 

Question why  use dc and name as count - just curious about your thought process here:

dc(index) as count 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...