Reporting

Search Jobs and Closing Browser Window

aferone
Builder

I thought I knew how this behaved, but now I am not so sure.

I thought that if a browser were to crash in the middle of a search (or even close the browser windows), your search job would continue to run, and you'd be able to jump back into it via the Jobs page. However, this doesn't seem to be working anymore for us. When this occurs, we go into Jobs, and the searches are either finalized or finished. I even tested this by pausing a search. I went into Jobs, and it showed up as finished instead of paused.

Anything we should be looking at? Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hartfoml
Motivator

@aferone, sorry it took so long for someone to comment. If you have already figured this out then sorry for the useless info. If you think about it you have not told Splunk to send the job to the background to run until the job is completed so if the browser is closed or crashes Splunk thinks the user is done with the job and will not run till completion. you have to tell Splunk to run the job in the background to keep it running till completion and then you can go back and get the results later.

Don't know if this helps but here is my thoughts on it.

View solution in original post

hartfoml
Motivator

@aferone, sorry it took so long for someone to comment. If you have already figured this out then sorry for the useless info. If you think about it you have not told Splunk to send the job to the background to run until the job is completed so if the browser is closed or crashes Splunk thinks the user is done with the job and will not run till completion. you have to tell Splunk to run the job in the background to keep it running till completion and then you can go back and get the results later.

Don't know if this helps but here is my thoughts on it.

aferone
Builder

Yeah, I did not realize about sending the job to the background. I do that a lot now, and it works just fine. Thanks for answering!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...