Reporting

Regex to extract fields between strings

cindygibbs_08
Communicator

Hello guys I hope you are doing well,

It turns out I am in need of a regex that will allow me to extract a "fixed" or "static" pattern within a field that is called HEAD in a splunk search that I have... this so-called HEAD field will start with any kind of words/numbers/strings... but will always have at some point the pattern "***\|Hotel=YY-4857UU45547|" wich is three (*) followed by "\|Hotel=" and then a combination of words and numbers and this pattern with always end with a "|" .... this will may always have some other kinds of words of number after that last "|" so what i an trying to acchive is estracting only the pattern that we know to be always consistent... to show you an example this is one of the real values of that field:

| makeresults
| eval HEAD=" 487542 For Flight Toronto AV TAX VIP client UBER_LIFT_ 78547  ***\|Hotel=YY-4857UU45547| aws not equip Need end seat 1U"

and I would like a regex that will allow me to extract:

YY-4857UU45547

and put it in a new field name: RESERV_CODE

I have tried all day and all nig I will ne so thankful to any of you lovely people who can help me out tahnk you so much

love;
cindy

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@cindygibbs_08 

can you try this?

<your_search_goes_here>
| rex field="HEAD" "\*\*\*\\\|Hotel\=(?<RESERVE_CODE>[-\w]+)"

--

An upvote would be appreciated and Accept solution if it helps!

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@cindygibbs_08 

can you try this?

<your_search_goes_here>
| rex field="HEAD" "\*\*\*\\\|Hotel\=(?<RESERVE_CODE>[-\w]+)"

--

An upvote would be appreciated and Accept solution if it helps!

Tags (1)

cindygibbs_08
Communicator

Hello @venkatasri  thank you for your help !!! Your code is great but... It does not give the RESERV_CODE until the last "|" but rather gives me the rest of the string in HEAD.. am I doing something wrong?

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@cindygibbs_08 Looks fine to me, is that same sample that you have tested? 

Can you share how the end result looks like and what was the original event?

Screenshot 2021-07-01 at 1.39.39 PM.png

cindygibbs_08
Communicator

@venkatasri  hi! Yeah is the same but When I put it in splunk I get everything after the "=" basically...

0 Karma

venkatasri
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@cindygibbs_08 can you try this.

<your_search_goes_here>
| rex  field=HEAD "Hotel\=(?<RESERV_CODE>[-\w]+)\|"

--

An upvote  would be appreciated and Accept solution if it helps!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...