Reporting

Malformed Saved Search Error when setting up Summary Indexing

lweiss
Explorer

I received an error stating "This saved search cannot perform summary indexing because it has a malformed search." while I was setting up summary indexing through the UI. 

The SPL in my saved search included a lookup and a subsearch to dynamically set the earliest and latest values for the main search.

From what I found researching the error, the issue is related to passing the earliest and latest values back to the main search. It took me a while to solve this so I thought I'd post it here to help anyone else seeing this error.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lweiss
Explorer

Here's the solution I found as an alternative to enabling summary indexing through the UI.

I added a collect command to the end of the query to write the results to the specified summary index so the UI wasn't needed to set up the summary indexing.

The format for the collect command is:

| collect index=<name of target summary index> source=<name of saved search generating the results>

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lweiss
Explorer

Here's the solution I found as an alternative to enabling summary indexing through the UI.

I added a collect command to the end of the query to write the results to the specified summary index so the UI wasn't needed to set up the summary indexing.

The format for the collect command is:

| collect index=<name of target summary index> source=<name of saved search generating the results>

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...