Reporting

List of files exported in a folder

miteshvohra
Contributor

The objective is to periodically export the search result as a file in a pre-defined folder as and then list the available files as part of the Dashboard for others to view / download any of them, as and when necessary.

While there are ways to export search results (docgen, ODTS, manually exporting, etc)

However, is there a way to retrieve the list of files stored in a folder? If so, kindly suggest the same.

TIA, Mitesh.

0 Karma

DaveSavage
Builder

miteshvohra - if I understand your question correctly then dir >opfile (where opfile is a name of your choice) under Windows and ls commands under Linux will list the files in a folder for you. Staying inside Splunk though, the results from a search can be 'saved and shared' - then are available from the Jobs manager...but I suspect you already know that?
Br
Dave

DaveSavage
Builder

...or you could give him access to Splunk (?), a little training on Search and he can answer his own questions arising from his time away? 😉

0 Karma

DaveSavage
Builder

miteshvohra - I would err on the side of the Win box so the dir >filename option. That creates a file for you, next task is to use that file (I guess) in a drop down from a dashboard...which is back in Splunk assuming it can 'see' that directory the saved weekly reports and index file are in. The dir command would need to go in a dot bat file to be run and scheduled per the business frequency / on demand. Are you ok with dash builds, drop downs etc? If so, then good luck and heres hoping you have another happy customer.

0 Karma

miteshvohra
Contributor

A customer once threw a question at us that, he would like to look at some of the weekly reports out of the system when he is back from a short vacation or business trip. Which is why a list of exported reports on a dashboard would be handy for him to randomly pick and review what happened during his absence. Hence the question.

Dave: thanks for the reply. Splunk Server runs on Linux while the reports are saved on a Win-box. In that case, which command would be applicable?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...