Reporting

LDAP Configuration, Invalid credentials issue.

fabianbr

Hello Splunkers.
Im new to splunk and have been tasked with configuring LDAP, I have edited the authentication.conf file as below.

authType = LDAP
authSettings = ldap1

[ldap1]
host = sjcldap.ad.ea.com
port = 3268
SSLEnabled = 0
bindDN = emsguest
bindDNpassword = ##hashed password##
userBaseDN = dc=ad,dc=ea,dc=com
userBaseFilter = (objectclass=)
groupBaseDN = dc=ad,dc=ea,dc=com
groupBaseFilter = (objectclass=
)
userNameAttribute = sAMAccountName
realNameAttribute = displayName
groupMappingAttribute = uid
groupMemberAttribute = uniqueMember
groupNameAttribute = uid

in splunkd.log file I see the following:
08-15-2013 05:12:14.914 -0700 ERROR ScopedLDAPConnection - strategy="ldap1" Error binding to LDAP. reason="Invalid credentials"
08-15-2013 05:12:14.914 -0700 INFO IndexProcessor - adjusting tb licences
08-15-2013 05:12:14.914 -0700 ERROR UserManagerPro - LoadLDAPUsersThread: Error loading all LDAP users for strategy="ldap1"
08-15-2013 05:12:14.917 -0700 INFO CMConfig - A splunktcp forwarder port is not configured in inputs.conf
08-15-2013 05:12:14.917 -0700 INFO TcpInputConfig - SSL clause not found or servercert not provided - SSL ports will not be available

If I execute the following ldapsearch command it works:
ldapsearch -x -h sjcldap.ad.ea.com -p 3268 -D "esmguest" -w "esmguest" -b "dc=ad,dc=ea,dc=com" "samaccountname=*"

So what Am I missing or doing wrong?

Any thoughts or comments you can provide will be appreciated.

Best Regards.

0 Karma

bbialek
Path Finder

I was getting the following error when loading LDAP configuration from system/local/authentication.conf file:

Error binding to LDAP. reason="Invalid credentials"

The problem was due to me having bindDNpassword in a form of a hash instead of plain text. It turns out you need Splunk do the hashing on it own.

0 Karma

fabianbr

Hello Team.

I found out what the issue was, I was giving bad credentials :(.

Now im getting a new message
"Your LDAP strategy 'ldap1' is not returning any groups. Please check your LDAP configuration or consult splunkd.log for LDAP errors."

Anyway I will open a new thread for that.

Have a Great Day.

Regards.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...