Reporting

Is there a way to include the time range used for a scheduled search in the emailed PDF of results?

skender27
Contributor

Hi,

I have several scheduled searches (reports) which are delivered every month in .pdf format via email.
Is there a way to include the time range the searches applied in these results (I mean which data ranges do the searches refer)?

It would be great if these info could be visible in the pdf pages...

Thanks,
Skender

0 Karma
1 Solution

hortonew
Builder
| addinfo | eval start=strftime(info_min_time, "%Y-%m-%d %T") | eval end=strftime(info_max_time, "%Y-%m-%d %T")

Then you could use the tokens $start$ and $end$ in your report

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

You can always do this for any report:

yoursearchhere
| yourreporthere
| addinfo 
| eval TimeRange="Time range for report is from " . strftime(info_min_time,"%x %X") . " to " .  
         strftime(info_max_time,"%x %X")

However, it will probably look better if you use some other name in the eval instead of TimeRange. Here is an example

index=web status=404
| stats count by host status
| appendpipe [ addinfo 
| eval host="Time range for report is from " . strftime(info_min_time,"%x %X") . " to " .
         strftime(info_max_time,"%x %X")  ]

This will put the "footnote" about the time range into the host column of the report. You can also play around with sorting, etc. to get the timerange information to the top of the report.

If you are creating a dashboard, you can put the time heading in its own panel at the top of the dashboard. However, you have to run some search before you get the addinfo data. So this would work

index=main | head 1
| addinfo 
| eval 'Start Time'=" strftime(info_min_time,"%x %X") 
| eval 'End Time'= strftime(info_max_time,"%x %X") 
| table "Start Time" "End Time"

Save this as a report and add it to any dashboard - or use it as an inline search in any dashboard.

skender27
Contributor

I used the variables in the edit alert, email action:

"The alert condition for "$name$" was triggered.
Results' time range:
$job.earliestTime$ --- $job.latestTime$"

Skender

skender27
Contributor

Hi,

The aim is to add this info as a title of the email which I receive when the trigger happens...
How to put them as tokens in the email trigger action (like the default search name for example: $name$)?

Thanks,
Skender

0 Karma

hortonew
Builder
| addinfo | eval start=strftime(info_min_time, "%Y-%m-%d %T") | eval end=strftime(info_max_time, "%Y-%m-%d %T")

Then you could use the tokens $start$ and $end$ in your report

skender27
Contributor

I edited the email alert of the scheduled search and I noticed an option which is called Trigger Time.
What does it mean? is it the time range the search includes?
Has someone used alert email tokens?

Skender

0 Karma

skender27
Contributor

What if I inserted the email alert: Time range is: $range$ where range is the token which used from the time range picker input...

Skender

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...