Reporting

Index Windows log evtx

kalianov
Path Finder

Hi guys!
I have a free Splunk server which installed on Windows 2012 and
I want to index and analyze Security.evtx file, which I download from remote user's PC (Windows7).
I tried to add this stanzas to index.conf and reboot splunk server, but no information were indexed:
I can't use forwarder, it's a one-time need.
Var1
[WinEventLog://C:\temp\Security.evtx]
current_only = 0
disabled = 0
host = userPChostname
index = winevent_ext
sourcetype = WinEventLog:Security
start_from = oldest

Var2: If I open my "Security.evtx" file in Event Viewer, it's opened in "Saved Logs-Security" tree thats why I tried this:
[WinEventLog://Saved Logs/Security]
current_only = 0
disabled = 0
host = userPChostname
index = winevent_ext
sourcetype = WinEventLog:Security
start_from = oldest

No results.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You have to open the event log in your event viewer on your local machine and then export it as csv and then you can use the add data wizard in Splunk.

kalianov
Path Finder

Thanks for your advice. This is the right solution, but the task is to do it without conversion.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can't. You either put a forwarder on the machine to read the data where it is being generated, pull the data from another windows machine running Splunk via WMI input, or you do the conversion.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...