Reporting

How to write a search leveraging tstats, a data model, and timechart?

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

I am looking to convert this regular search:

index=foo action=blocked `macro` src_zone=foo | timechart count span=1d 

over to a search that leverage tstats and the Network Traffic datamodel that shows the count of blocked traffic per day for the past 7 days due to the large volume of network events

| tstats count AS "Count of Blocked Traffic" from datamodel=Network_Traffic where (nodename = All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic) All_Traffic.src_zone=foo groupby _time, All_Traffic.src_zone prestats=true

How can I get this search to use timechart?

Thx

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Adding the timechart command should do it.

| tstats count AS "Count of Blocked Traffic" from datamodel=Network_Traffic where (nodename = All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic) All_Traffic.src_zone=foo groupby _time span=1d, All_Traffic.src_zone prestats=true
| `drop_dm_object_name("All_Traffic")`
| timechart span=1d count by src_zone

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Adding the timechart command should do it.

| tstats count AS "Count of Blocked Traffic" from datamodel=Network_Traffic where (nodename = All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic) All_Traffic.src_zone=foo groupby _time span=1d, All_Traffic.src_zone prestats=true
| timechart span=1d count by src_zone

---

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

@richgalloway 

If I wanted to change this search up so it's looking at total traffic events with an overlay of the avg number of blocks, how would I write that query?

I have the following but not getting any results:

| tstats count AS "Total Traffic" from datamodel=Network_Traffic where (nodename = All_Traffic) All_Traffic.src_zone=INTERNET-O groupby _time span=1d, All_Traffic.src_zone, All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic prestats=true 
| timechart span=1d count
| stats avg(count) by Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic

Is the issue that I'm pulling from two different objects in the Network datamodel - All_Traffic and Blocked_Traffic and not referencing the Blocked_Traffic model correctly?

0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

Mucking around some more and getting closer as I now have this:

| tstats count AS "Total Traffic" from datamodel=Network_Traffic where (nodename = All_Traffic ) OR (nodename = Blocked_Traffic) All_Traffic.src_zone=INTERNET-O groupby _time span=1d, All_Traffic.src_zone, All_Traffic.action, All_Traffic.Traffic_By_Action.Blocked_Traffic prestats=true 
| timechart span=1d count by action 
| eval "Block Avg" = round('blocked'*100/('allowed'+'blocked'),2)

But two issues:

1. Timechart now shows bars by action and 'd like to see just the total count of network sessions
  2. The average is basically flatlined as it's at roughly 40% whereas my totals by action are roughly 1.5B
0 Karma

jwalzerpitt
Influencer

TYVM Rich!

If I needed to add a macro in the search, where would I place that?

Thx again

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It depends on what the macro does.  Start by putting it in the where clause of the tstats command.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...