Reporting

How to set up real-time search as saved search

yuwtennis
Communicator

Hi!

I want to set up a real-time search as a saved search , which can run as a background job.
However , reading the document , it seems that its only available on Splunk web or the CLI.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.2/Search/Aboutrealtimesearches

Can someone help me out how to find the way to set up real-time search for savedsearches
from the GUI?

Thanks,
Yu

0 Karma
1 Solution

rturk
Builder

Hi Yu,

Realtime searches are handled differently to regular searches as the results are extracted and presented before the data has been indexed. As a consequence, they are very resource (CPU) intensive.

A better was to do this would be to run a scheduled search (every five minutes) that would search for any instances of events in the last 5 minutes. This gets around the possibility of not seeing events where there is a delay between the event happening, and the event being indexed (as long as the delay isn't more than 5 minutes)

Generally, realtime searches should be used sparingly (in my opinion anyway)

Here's what Splunk has to say on the matter: http://docs.splunk.com/Splexicon:Realtimealert

Hope this is of some help 🙂

View solution in original post

LukeMurphey
Champion

You can schedule real-time searches by appending "rt" to the earliest and/or latest time. Thus, "rtnow" would be real-time equivalent of now and "rt-24h" would the real-time equivalent of 24 hours in the past.

Note that real-time searches are expensive and can slow down indexing significantly (even if they are not matching many events). Therefore, avoid using them if you can.

0 Karma

LukeMurphey
Champion

It will unless you explicitly define a time-range in the view itself.

0 Karma

yuwtennis
Communicator

Hello LukeMurphey.

Thank you for the comment.

Is this timerange applied when you open up the view in the web?

Thanks,
Yu Watanabe

0 Karma

rturk
Builder

Hi Yu,

Realtime searches are handled differently to regular searches as the results are extracted and presented before the data has been indexed. As a consequence, they are very resource (CPU) intensive.

A better was to do this would be to run a scheduled search (every five minutes) that would search for any instances of events in the last 5 minutes. This gets around the possibility of not seeing events where there is a delay between the event happening, and the event being indexed (as long as the delay isn't more than 5 minutes)

Generally, realtime searches should be used sparingly (in my opinion anyway)

Here's what Splunk has to say on the matter: http://docs.splunk.com/Splexicon:Realtimealert

Hope this is of some help 🙂

yuwtennis
Communicator

Hello R.Turk.

Thank you for the reply.

The reason I want to test real time search is to use the splunk as monitoring prospect. Kind of imagining sending alerts in real time to external applications like nagios.

I will take your advice into account.

Thanks,
Yu

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...