Reporting

How to set the legend placement for a chart in a *Report*

hriazi
Engager

In Splunk 6.5.2
When creating and saving a timechart as a Report (and not a dashboard), is there a way to place the legend at the bottom of the chart instead of to the right? Example search like index = …. | timechart count by host span=1h

In researching it I have multiple options to do this in a dashboard, like adding the (option name="charting.legend.placement" of bottom) to the source HTML but I have not found a way to accomplish this for a Report.

(The reason for wanting the legend displayed at the bottom of the chart is that: This is a Scheduled Report where the chart is exported to PDF and emailed automatically. If the legend names are too long they get truncated/shrunk on the right while there is sufficient room at the bottom of the chart. I do not wish to change the attributes of the PDF if at all possible.)

Thank you for any help you could offer.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Super Champion

Hi @hriazi,
Have you tried to change in format>> Legend while saving a timechart as a Report as you can not edit report query once it is saved.
also in dashboard you can add :

<option name="charting.legend.placement">bottom</option> 

alt text

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Super Champion

Hi @hriazi,
Have you tried to change in format>> Legend while saving a timechart as a Report as you can not edit report query once it is saved.
also in dashboard you can add :

<option name="charting.legend.placement">bottom</option> 

alt text

0 Karma

hriazi
Engager

Hi @493669, THANK YOU. Your suggestion solved my problem. As you mentioned with Reports I have to do that before the “Save”, as that option is not available while saving the Report. Thanks again.

0 Karma

felipesewaybric
Contributor

you can change the legend to the bottom of the chart in a dashboard, just click on edit, then in the chart you want, just click on the Y or X (i dont remember now), and then you can change to left, right, bottom or none.

0 Karma

hriazi
Engager

Hi @felipesewaybricker,
Thanks for the reply but I needed that solution for a Report and not a Dashboard. As suggested by @493669, in a Report I can't edit the legend placement after the chart is saved.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...