Reporting

How to get count of hosts per type of event?

aykay403
Engager

Hi there, hoping this is a quick question:

I've got a search which polls for several eventlog types, and I want to put them into a table by event type using number of hosts in each event type, rather than just the total of events per type.

Right now it looks something like:

(searchForA=A) (searchForB=B) (searchForC=C) (searchForD=D) 

| eval EventType=case(

match(searchForA, "A"), "Results of A",

match(searchForB, "B"), "Results of B",

match(searchForC, "C"), "Results of C",

match(searchForD, "D"), "Results of D")

stats count by EventType

This shows me the counts of each event type no problem, and it works to show really big numbers, but what I'd like to show is a count of hosts per event type.... so like... | stats count by host PER EventType.

Any help would be great!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you mean

| stats dc(host) by EventType

or perhaps (showing the hosts, not counting)

| stats values(host) by EventType

Oh, and be careful with the vocabulary. In splunk's context, the "eventtype" word has some specific meaning so if you want to avoid misunderstandings, you can try to use another term.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Do you mean

| stats dc(host) by EventType

or perhaps (showing the hosts, not counting)

| stats values(host) by EventType

Oh, and be careful with the vocabulary. In splunk's context, the "eventtype" word has some specific meaning so if you want to avoid misunderstandings, you can try to use another term.

aykay403
Engager

Pickle Riiiiick! Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...