Reporting

How do you pass an input parameter to a saved search inside a dashboard?

DamageSplunk
Explorer

I'm running 6.1.4

I want to use saved searches in my dashboards for certain types of searches, mostly based on perfmon.
As the searches are tuned / modified all dashboards referencing that saved search will get the updated content.

In order to accomplish this I need to be able to pass parameters to the saved search such as host name, time range, span etc

=============================================================

My saved search:

[Perfmon_Processor_ProcessorTime_Total]
action.email.reportServerEnabled = 0
alert.track = 0
dispatch.earliest_time = -4h@m
dispatch.latest_time = now
display.general.type = statistics
display.statistics.drilldown = row
display.statistics.overlay = highlow
search = host=$host$ | dedup host | table host

=============================================================

My Dashboard:

zSavedSearch Proto Eric 1

<input type="text" token="host" searchWhenChanged="true">
  <label>Host Filter</label>
  <default>*DATCDS*</default>
</input>

<panel>
  <table>
    <searchName>Perfmon_Processor_ProcessorTime_Total</searchName>
  </table>
</panel>

How do I pass in $host$ from the input to the saved search?

hmozaffari
Path Finder

In case of time range you can pass time as token to your saved search:

<form>
  <label>Title...</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="true">
    <input type="time" token="time_token" searchWhenChanged="false">
      <label>Select Time Range</label>
      <default>
        <earliest>0</earliest>
        <latest></latest>
      </default>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <chart>
        <title>Title...</title>
        <search ref="saved_search">
          <earliest>$time_token.earliest$</earliest>
          <latest>$time_token.latest$</latest>
        </search>

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can pass parameters into saved searches from a dashboard... just not directly.

Replace your searchName with searchString using this:

| savedsearch Perfmon_Processor_ProcessorTime_Total host=$host$

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.1/SearchReference/savedsearch

Remember, this is now an inline search. It'll be called from the user context running the dashboard and cannot make use of any scheduling. Depending on where you insert the host parameter you're not going to match existing report accelerations either. If you need these features, consider moving your knowledge into a data model.

For re-using existing panels, take a look at the Splunk 6.2 feature that lets you create panels and share them with other developers for use in their dashboards. That's not exactly this use case, but still may be useful for your environment.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm running 6.2.1, but I've used that on earlier versions as well... you?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This works for me:

<form>
  <fieldset submitButton="false">
    <input type="text" token="field1"></input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <table>
        <searchString>| savedsearch echo echo="$field1$"</searchString>
      </table>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>

The saved search echo looks like this:

| stats count | eval echo = "$echo$"

Entering foo in the text field properly returns a value of foo in the table's echo column.

DamageSplunk
Explorer

What version are you running?

0 Karma

DamageSplunk
Explorer

This doesn't appear to work when using it inside a dashboard. If I run: "|savedsearch Perfmon_Processor_ProcessorTime_Total host=CO1*DATCDS*" in the search window I get the expected result.

If I take the same string and paste it into the dashboard not only does the editor not like it, it doesn't work.

|savedsearch Perfmon_Processor_ProcessorTime_Total host=CO1*DATCDS*

0 Karma

jayannah
Builder

You can't pass tokens to saved searches. You have 2 options
1. make the search into inline search - OR -
2. have a postprocess search and filter the result (returned from saved search) in the process process search ..like "|search host=$host$

0 Karma

DamageSplunk
Explorer

Thanks for the quick response jayannah. That's disappointing news. The goal of this exercise was to move away from inline searches. The model I wanted to move to was essentially treating 'savedsearches' like SQL stored procedures. Write it once and then let everyone utilize it.

I've got hundreds of developers, testers and analysts all creating dashboards for their little corner of the world. I don't believe it's a good use of their time creating a chart that shows "processor time" since I've already done it, correctly. They should just be able to pick the reports that they want to see in a dashboard and add them to their panels. That way they can focus on presenting the data that's unique to their job.

What this means is that:
1. There will be variations of how the same data is searched and presented
2. If an issue is found in a particular search the fix is going to need to be applied to all of the dashboards I created

The 2nd option you presented isn't feasible. The savedsearch would have to run against all hosts and then filter in the ones that you actually wanted. We've got ~4,500 hosts so that's a non-starter.

I'm going to submit this as a feature request. All that needs to be done is take any inputs defined in the dashboard and make them available to the savedsearch. For example, if there's a $host$ token defined, make $host$ available to the saved search. If the saved search makes use of them, great, if not, no harm done.

--Eric

ksapru

Did this work eventually? I m stuck on a similar issue. Thanks!

0 Karma

pgoldweic
Communicator

I also have the same question

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...