Reporting

How do you get a report of machines that are VMs?

ShaunBaker
Path Finder

I've seen searches using _internal to identify OS, but is there a way to identify what clients are physical and which are VMs?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

I'd typically get that kind of context from a CMDB and feed that into lookups in Splunk to enrich events with such information (e.g. through Enterprise Security's Asset&Identity framework).

Not sure if there is any way to tell the difference between a VM and a physical from logs. What logs are you collecting and do you have a UF on the respective machines?

0 Karma

ShaunBaker
Path Finder

I think pretty basic/standard sourcetypes for windows, application, system and security. There are a lot of different eventtype though, so I will dig around.

I do have a UF on the VMs in question.

Hoping to use Splunk to help with generating my CMDB haha.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Right, ok 🙂

Not sure whether you can see it in the logs (maybe check the system events close to startup or something, maybe that holds a clue).

Otherwise, it should be possible to use some commands to check the system type, which you could put into a scripted input. Maybe the windows TA even already contains some scripted / wmi inputs that enable you to find out.

0 Karma

ShaunBaker
Path Finder

So we have WMI working and I found a string that at least got me some VMs, but it required that the VM be a Windows VM, no joy on the linux side. Could probably add something to our Linux deployment-app to check for VMware tools. If I cast the net really wide there seems to be snippets of VM info in sourcetype WinHostMon, WindowsUpdateLog, and even eventype nix-all-logs- so hopefully I can whip something up that is accurate and clean.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...