Reporting

How do I export search results with 10 million rows?

nbharadwaj
Path Finder

I am trying to export 10 million rows to a CSV. I want to explore options available for the following versions:

• SplunkWeb 4.0.10
  • Splunk API/CLI 4.0.10

I also want to know what enhancements are in place in the latest 4.1.3 version for both Web and API/CLI

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This depends a bit on whether you just need to export raw events or the result of a reporting/summarizing search.

In either case, it's a difficult task with 4.0.x. For a raw events search, one method is to write code and be clever in accessing the REST endpoints directly to "page" through the data. For either a raw or statistical events search, you can use outputcsv to persist even more rows to disk and retrieve them directly.

For 4.1.x, the CLI can emit an unlimited stream of raw events (in reverse-time order), however this data will not be CSV. This is achieved by setting -maxout 0. For a reporting/summarizing search, the limit is 500k and can be paged through using the REST API.

View solution in original post

nbharadwaj
Path Finder

Yes I am referring to (hopefully) improved large data export functionality in 4.1.x

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This depends a bit on whether you just need to export raw events or the result of a reporting/summarizing search.

In either case, it's a difficult task with 4.0.x. For a raw events search, one method is to write code and be clever in accessing the REST endpoints directly to "page" through the data. For either a raw or statistical events search, you can use outputcsv to persist even more rows to disk and retrieve them directly.

For 4.1.x, the CLI can emit an unlimited stream of raw events (in reverse-time order), however this data will not be CSV. This is achieved by setting -maxout 0. For a reporting/summarizing search, the limit is 500k and can be paged through using the REST API.

nbharadwaj
Path Finder

Thanks, paging is fairly tedious in 4.0.x. I am hoping its improved in 4.1.x. I am interested only in reporting or summarized searches.

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

Those are two very different questions. You may want to open a second question for the 4.1.x question. Or are you referring to changes in 4.1.x purely related to large data exports?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...