Reporting

Difference between Splunk monitoring console and Distributed management console

SamHTexas
Builder

What is the Difference between Splunk monitoring console and Distributed management console. How doo I access Dist. monitoring console ?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Monitoring Console is the new name for the Distributed Management Console.  They are the same thing.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

Hello, Rich should I enable distributed mode in my Monitoring console as suggested by another great helper?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you have a distributed Splunk environment then, yes, the MC absolutely should be in Distributed mode.  Only configure one MC, however.  Put it on your License Manager or another lightly-used instance.

---
0 Karma

SamHTexas
Builder

One more question please. I am going to change to dist. mode. But the deployment I have walked into. They hav a monitoring console on almost every Splunk server like om MC, LM, SHs etc. Should I remove most & only keep one Monitoring console in Dist. mode? Thax again

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The MC is built-in to every Splunk instance (except UF).  Only one of them should be in Distributed mode; the rest should be in Standalone mode.  The instance you choose to be the MC should have visibility into all other instances (make them search peers).

---

SamHTexas
Builder

Please show me how to make the MCs peers with the MC in distributed mode. I appreciate your time.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The MC does not peer with other MCs.  It peers with other Splunk instances.  Do so the same way you would peer a search head with an indexer.  Go to Settings->Distributed Search and add all of the non-forwarder Splunk servers as peers to the MC.  Then open the MC and select Settings->General Setup, review the server list, and click Apply Changes.

See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/DMC/Configureindistributedmode for details.

---
0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @SamHTexas,

The difference is Distributed Monitoring Console monitors your distributed deployment. You should enable Distributed mode inside the monitoring console. Please see below documentation;

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/DMC/Configureindistributedmode 

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

SamHTexas
Builder

One more question please reg Distributed mode in the MC. In the Splunk environment I have inherited. There are 2 Monitoring consoles both in Distributed mode, does this cause problems?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Having 2 MCs will create excess load in your Splunk environment, but should not cause real problems.  Best to disable one of them, however, so you have a single source of truth and only one MC to keep current.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...