Reporting

Data model, saved search or summary index?

javiierg14

I need to know which of these methods is better for this scenario:

I have a big log of events that index 2.5 million of events every day, this log is a raw text that require a complex Regular Expression to get the fields and values, i have like 10 dashboard feeding from this log, one of them is a report view where me and my team search event with multiples filters that are dinamilly choose from tokens.

these reports takes to much time when the time range is seven day ago or more, it's very hard generate a report of the top 10 events, or the distributions of errors.

the problem is that the time range selected is very random, one day we need a today report, then a 3 months ago or especific day, I need a method to optimize this reports and reduce the duration of the jobs.

I have tried with make all the dashboard run a base search and then post process the results on each panel, this did'nt reduce the duration.

So, what you recommend, use a saved search, a summary index or data model?

keep in mind, the time range selected it's very variable

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Saved search does not make any sense here as there are many reports and some of them might be token based which you can not accelerate.
Based on my experience, I would recommend you to use data model, as it is meant to process large amount of data in a rapid and efficient way. After building a data model you can accelerate it and make as many reports/dashboards you want.
To accelerate data model follow these steps:
To accelerate the data model go to the Data Model Manager page (it says "Data Models" at the top and has an Actions column; you get to it from the Data Model Editor page by clicking "Back to Data Models").

Click Edit and select Edit Permissions. Share the object with the App or All Apps. (Only shared objects can be accelerated.)

Click Edit again and click Edit Acceleration.

In the Edit Acceleration dialog select Accelerate and then select a Summary Range. Summary range is the amount of time that you need to be accelerated. The bigger the range, the more space the acceleration summary will take up on disk and the longer it will take to create, so don't choose a range that is longer than you need it to be. For example, if you don't plan to search over more than the last week or two, select a range of 1 Month.

I hope this helps you!

Save your acceleration changes. Your model is now accelerated.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...