Reporting

Dashboard Loading Slowely but seems to be running using User instead of Owner

seanlenes
Explorer

I am working on a very large dashboard (as per the requirements given to me) that is running slowly. I've managed to cut down on the number of panels significantly, and optimized the queries to the best of my abilities. I've tried looking into base searches but all the panels seem to have significantly different queries (most only having the index in common).

I noticed that the dashboard runs fine when I am logged into splunk with my team's service account, and slower when I log in as myself. I believe this is expected because we have greater resources allocated towards our service account.

If this is true, am I able to power the dashboard with the service account instead of the individual's account? I have created the dashboard with the service account but when I check the "Jobs" page, it says the owner of the queries is the individual.

I also have the dashboard shared at the app level with read/write permissions set appropriately for my team.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Consider using saved searches in the dashboard panels.  The searches can be configured to run as the owner (service account) and the dashboard will load the latest results.  It should result in an apparent performance improvement to users.  It also means multiple users opening the dashboard won't trigger extra sets of searches.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

seanlenes
Explorer

@richgalloway  Saved Searches worked great for the panels that present data on a specific time-frame. I have a follow-up question regarding some of the other panels, though.

After looking into it, I realized that I lost the option for using the time-picker for some panels. One of the requirements for the dashboard was also to have a time-frame picker with default of "last 7 days". How can I incorporate saved searches run from the service account but also have the ability to use the time frame picker input in case the user wants to go back further than the default of Last 7 days?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Using a saved search within a dashboard pulls in the results from the most recent run of that saved search. That means the dashboard has no control over the timeframe of the search.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...