Reporting

Convert all email alerts to send _time in standard time format rather than epoch

geoffn
Engager

My email alerts coming out of the system for simple timecharts and stats have _time in epoch format. Is there a master configuration that will convert these to default to a standard datetime format.

Tags (1)

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Practically speaking, Genti has your answer: make a new field, optionally hide the _time field (with |fields).

I think there's an Enhancement Request here for formatting in email alerts. I'd appreciate if you could toss an email to support about it. Product management really grooves on stuff like, if you're willing. Not elaborate, but a thumbnail sketch.

• Here is our situation/what we are doing
  • Here is what we want splunk to do
  • To meet our needs like so

Personally I wonder if this relates to general email formatting/presentation needs. Some questions I'd think to ask as an engineer: Is this needed for CSV, or table, or html output? All? None? Will typing a strftime string into a conf file get the job done?

0 Karma

geoffn
Engager

Appreciate the answers. I will submit a enhancement request. I had a heck of a time with this one but probably just due to my lack of experience. I was producing an email alert that compared todays values to last weeks values (following the advice in http://answers.splunk.com/questions/2712/line-chart-comparing-yesterdays-result-with-todays-result-i...). However, I could never get the time right until I converted this to a table and played around with time format function quite a bit. Everything in the UI looked good but the email converted back to Epoch.

0 Karma

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

_time is in epoch time and cannot be changed. You can however, for reporting reasons, convert it to local time as desired by using:

| convert ctime(_time) as LOCALTIME

Then if you notice, you will have a new field called LOCALTIME which should be what you wanted...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...