Reporting

Can't attach PDF - ssName and pdfViewID unavailable

I'm trying to generate PDF reports with this search:

source="/var/log/messages" host="ejabber-1" | head 1 | sendemail sendpdf=true to=email address

I get the email, but I also get a PDF error in python.log:

An error occurred while generating a PDF of this report: Can't attach PDF - ssName and pdfViewID unavailable

PDF email does work via the scheduled PDF function.

I'm running Splunk 5.0.1 and CentOS 6.2.

Tags (2)

Contributor

Hi, we still have a similar problem. We upgraded from 4.3.3. to 5.0.6 directly. After this we only got this message in the python.log if we try to generate scheduled reports from our views/dashboards.

2013-11-27 07:35:01,371 ERROR local variable 'ssName' referenced before assignment while sending mail to: my.mail@address.com

Does anybody found a solution to fix it?

0 Karma

This was answered for me in a ticket, but since I can't really explain why it works now, I'm going to leave this open for the others that need help.

0 Karma

Explorer

anyone with any answer on this?

0 Karma

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Some other people ran into a problem with this message after upgrading, perhaps you customized some email settings in alertactions.conf in a previous version? Seems we have a migration oopsie with that. Try commenting out any custom "command = " in your local/alertactions.conf.

0 Karma

Contributor

I tried your solution but nothing happens.

Before I read this article our local/alert_actions.conf Shows like this:

[email]
reportServerEnabled = 1
reportServerURL =
from = splunk@domain.com
mailserver = localhost

I changed it to this and restart the splunk server process.

[email]
from = splunk@domain.com
reportServerURL =

But unfortnately we have the same problem.

0 Karma

@bfinney, I still haven't heard back on this one. The answer would definitely be appreciated.

0 Karma

Engager

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am getting the same error.
Thanks.

0 Karma