Reporting

Can a scheduled dashboard pdf delivery be sent to a share instead of an email?

maciep
Champion

Hi all,

We have a few daily reports created via scheduled pdf delivery of dashboards. They are emailed to the user as designed. But the user does not want to get emails. Instead, she'd prefer the pdf's be delivered to a share (that's how their previous product worked). As of now, she has to manually copy the reports to the share every day.

Is that possible in Splunk, and I'm missing the option/config somewhere? Or is it just email at the moment? If not, does anyone know if there is an enhancement request for that functionality I can jump on?

Worst case for now, I'll try to script it if needed.

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

twinspop
Influencer

I don't believe you can do this in the GUI, but with a simple curl command you can schedule it via cron:

curl -sku youruser:yourpass 'https://localhost:8089/services/pdfgen/render?input-dashboard=your_view_name&namespace=your_app_context&paper-size=a4-landscape' >> your_view.pdf

View solution in original post

maciep
Champion

For my own reference later or if anyone else needs something similar, here is the basic powershell script I'm using to implement the rest call that twinspop provided.

Add-Type @"
    using System;
    using System.Net;
    using System.Net.Security;
    using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;
    public class ServerCertificateValidationCallback
    {
        public static void Ignore()
        {
            ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback += 
                delegate
                (
                    Object obj, 
                    X509Certificate certificate, 
                    X509Chain chain, 
                    SslPolicyErrors errors
                )
                {
                    return true;
                };
        }
    }
"@

[ServerCertificateValidationCallback]::Ignore();
Invoke-WebRequest -Uri "https://mysplunkserver:8089/services/pdfgen/render?input-dashboard=my_cool_dashboard&namespace=my_sweet_app&paper-size=a4-landscape" -Method Get -Credential me -TimeoutSec 900 -OutFile C:\Users\me\Desktop\it_worked.pdf

Everything except the Invoke-WebRequest command was borrowed from this post, and is intended to ignore ssl errors.

twinspop
Influencer

Really handy to have. Thanks!

0 Karma

twinspop
Influencer

I don't believe you can do this in the GUI, but with a simple curl command you can schedule it via cron:

curl -sku youruser:yourpass 'https://localhost:8089/services/pdfgen/render?input-dashboard=your_view_name&namespace=your_app_context&paper-size=a4-landscape' >> your_view.pdf

maciep
Champion

hmm...I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

Alright, this seems to be working! I verified pretty quickly that running the curl from the splunk server itself (linux) worked. I was able to copy it over to the windows world and it opened as expected in adobe.

I then wanted to be sure I could initiate from the windows world, because that's probably where i'll need to set the scheduled task. So after a bunch of ssl issues and many google searches, I found the right way to ignore the cert checks for hitting our server's management port (there is no -insecure switch for powershell's curl equivalent). And I was able to hit the right endpoint and output the pdf to a file on my desktop.

I have a few more steps to work out, but they are more account/powershell stuff. I'm pasting my powershell code in a separate answer so it might be easier to find if someone needs it.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Wouldn't this require OP to encode the PDF file first into a base64 string to send it as a web service call?

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To my knowledge, this can't be done unless you script it. We've done something similar using Automic Automation Engine and Splunk which will poll an inbox and FTP the scripts to their location.

maciep
Champion

Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case, but was hoping I was wrong

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...