Reporting

Why does the search process need so much memory for one simple query with the data for ONE(!) day?

anton_kiryushki
Explorer

Hello.

I'm using Splunk Enterprise 7.2.6 and I'm trying to export some data from past with command below:

/path/to/splunk search "index=my_index earliest=12/02/2018:00:00:00 latest=12/03/2018:23:59:00" -output rawdata -maxout 0 -auth user:password

My servers has 64Gb RAM and it almost free:

free -mg
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 62 2 60 0 0 0
-/+ buffers/cache: 1 61
Swap: 0 0 0

However, the search process eats all memory and killed by OOM.

Could someone explain to me why the search process needs so many memory for one simple query with the data for ONE(!) day?

Labels (1)

pcieniek
Loves-to-Learn Lots

You can add SWAP memory to prevent OOM for huge search/exports.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How much data is in that one day?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

anton_kiryushki
Explorer

@richgalloway You surprised me by this question. I only can check the day after and it is 4510739 strings. So, I would assume the amount of data on the problem day is the same.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

4.5 million events should fit in 64GB, but it also depends on the sizes of the events. Perhaps you could try exporting 12 hours at a time into separate files and then concatenate the files.

---
0 Karma

anton_kiryushki
Explorer

I'm sorry, but it is unsuitable. Why Splunk is collect data into memory instead of flush data to disk directly? I don't need something externally hard, just grab data.
What if I need to export data for one year? Should I do exports by an hour or maybe by the minute? It is not a problem, I can write a script, but it is an inappropriate solution.
This is a strong bug in my opinion.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I agree and understand it's not the best solution, but would you rather stand on principle or get the job done?

---
0 Karma

anton_kiryushki
Explorer

You right. it is only way to manage the issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...