Reporting

Are scheduled searches intentionally set to be owned by "nobody" when permissions are changed from private to shared?

hoiby
Explorer

I'm on 6.1.2 -- I am troubleshooting some search quota issues and I think this is the root of the problem. I have some scheduled searches that are shared with other roles which run with an owner of "nobody", unless I change the permissions to private, in which case my user name is listed as the owner. I am getting this information from the scheduler log via this search:

index=_internal sourcetype=scheduler | stats count by savedsearch_id

Running the searches as "nobody" results in some skipped searches, as "nobody" observes the default srchJobsQuota = 3 in authorize.conf
This means that in order to ensure the searches don't get skipped AND share the results of a regularly scheduled search, I need to either increase the default srchJobsQuota (which I don't want to do), or manually assign an owner with an appropriate quota to a search in savedsearches.conf every time I create a scheduled search with these requirements. Is this the intended behavior?

Possibly related symptoms - I have also noticed that sometimes scheduled searches are automatically set with an expiration date as "saved" (even though I had not manually saved them or even viewed the search, I just let the scheduler start it, and observed it in the "Jobs" view) and other times they expire wildly early, not observing the default dispatch.ttl=2p (while other scheduled searches clearly do respect the setting). If this ttl behavior does not seem relevant, please ignore it and I will ask about it in another question.

1 Solution

hoiby
Explorer

I found the source of all the weird behavior and will document it here for reference. First off, I had made an assumption that the savedsearch_id from the scheduler log identified the user that the search was run as (e.g. savedsearch_id="nobody;app;searchname" was run as "nobody"), but when attempting to return the artifact using the loadjob command, I would have to use savedsearch="my.user;app;searchname" which led me to believe the search was actually being run by my user, just logged funky (there is a separate "user" field in the scheduler logs that correlates with this thought). It turns out my question was based on misinformation.

Secondly, I was using an asterisk to define the "minute" field for my cron jobs (according to a reference I found on the nets, which explained "0" meant "every") - turns out it was causing the search to run every minute for the hour, which set the ttl to like 2 minutes, and logged a ton of "skipped" searches (because the search was already running). The scheduled searches that were set as "saved" were because I was forcing them to run as I was troubleshooting and had over-written the asterisk in the Cron settings with an explicit minute. Lots of problem solving only to find out that this one was a PIBKAC.

View solution in original post

hoiby
Explorer

I found the source of all the weird behavior and will document it here for reference. First off, I had made an assumption that the savedsearch_id from the scheduler log identified the user that the search was run as (e.g. savedsearch_id="nobody;app;searchname" was run as "nobody"), but when attempting to return the artifact using the loadjob command, I would have to use savedsearch="my.user;app;searchname" which led me to believe the search was actually being run by my user, just logged funky (there is a separate "user" field in the scheduler logs that correlates with this thought). It turns out my question was based on misinformation.

Secondly, I was using an asterisk to define the "minute" field for my cron jobs (according to a reference I found on the nets, which explained "0" meant "every") - turns out it was causing the search to run every minute for the hour, which set the ttl to like 2 minutes, and logged a ton of "skipped" searches (because the search was already running). The scheduled searches that were set as "saved" were because I was forcing them to run as I was troubleshooting and had over-written the asterisk in the Cron settings with an explicit minute. Lots of problem solving only to find out that this one was a PIBKAC.

View solution in original post

.conf21 Now Fully Virtual!
Register for FREE Today!

We've made .conf21 totally virtual and totally FREE! Our completely online experience will run from 10/19 through 10/20 with some additional events, too!