Reporting

Any way to get the name of the scheduled search you are in?

DalJeanis
Legend

I have an odd use case, where I'd like to be able to add a field naming the saved search I happen to be executing.

I know that addinfo gives the SID, is there any way to get the search name?

Tags (2)

micahkemp
Champion

I would add an | eval insavedsearch="true" to your scheduled search. You control the search that's executed when the scheduled time comes, so why not make use of that control?

If you have a need for the same search, minus that eval to be available in an ad-hoc-able savedsearch, consider using a macro for the common portions, and add the eval just to the scheduled version.

0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

try this

index="_internal" sourcetype="scheduler" user=admin sid=scheduler* | table savedsearch_name _time

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

How would you use that to get the name of the same search that is currently being run?

something like this...?

| appendpipe 
        [ search index="_internal" sourcetype="scheduler" user=admin sid=scheduler* 
        | table savedsearch_name _time| where _time = now() ]
0 Karma

sbbadri
Motivator

index="_internal" sourcetype="scheduler" user=admin sid=scheduler* | append [| rest /services/saved/searches/savedsearch_name | search is_scheduled=1] | | table savedsearch_name,title, cron_schedule next_scheduled_time eai:acl.owner actions eai:acl.app action.email action.email.to dispatch.earliest_time dispatch.latest_time search *

or

Below rest command will help you to get all secheduled searches, to list all the searches run the second search

| rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches | search is_scheduled=1 | table title, cron_schedule next_scheduled_time eai:acl.owner actions eai:acl.app action.email action.email.to dispatch.earliest_time dispatch.latest_time search *

to know all the users and their scheduled searches.
| rest /servicesNS/-/-/saved/searches | search is_scheduled=1 | stats values(eai:acl.app) as application c by title, eai:acl.owner | fields - c

0 Karma

DalJeanis
Legend

Yeah, I just want, within the search that is running, to know what its own name is, and that's a long way around the block to get there, if it gets there at all.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@DalJeanis 

Did you ever find a solution for this?

It must be 'knowable' somehow, as if summary indexing is enabled, then it will have the search_name and source set to the name of the search when collected.

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Below is sample saved search. I could see saved search name in the field title.

| makeresults 
| eval test="testing,testing2" 
| makemv test delim="," 
| mvexpand test 
| addinfo 
| join type=left 
    [| rest /services/search/jobs 
    | table info_sid title eai:acl.app eai:acl.owner 
    | rename sid as info_sid, title as search ] 
| join type=left search 
    [| rest splunk_server=local count=0 /services/saved/searches 
    | table title search]

you must add below search to your saved search to give you title field.

| addinfo 
| join type=left 
    | table info_sid title eai:acl.app eai:acl.owner 
| join type=left search 
    [| rest splunk_server=local count=0 /services/saved/searches 
    | table title search]
————————————
If this helps, give a like below.

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks @thambisetty 

A couple of minor mistakes in the response about info_sid, which might be worth fixing up, i.e.

| join type=left info_sid
    | table sid title eai:acl.app eai:acl.owner 

It does work, so thanks for that.

I couldn't end up using it, as I've got a slightly odd use case, where I have a saved search calling a saved search passing replaceable params to the second one and this code in the second one, then doesn't work, so although it's probably fixable with the right join data, I ended up used a macro with the name components, which follow a strict naming convention, so had the name in some form anyway.

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

To get the info for the serach that's running, you may try using sid instead of time. | addinfo will give you the sid in the field info_sid.

Edit: it looks like your original question already states this. Reading comprehension fail. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...