Reporting

Alert email Content Transfer Encoding

rasmith1

Splunk Enterprise 8.0.2
I can send an email through our enterprise relay using python3 smtplib email.message. These come through with Content Transfer Encoding set to 7bit.
When I setup and trigger an email alert action through Splunk, it fails to relay through and the Content Transfer Encoding is set to base64.
That is the only difference I can detect between the 2 emails using wireshark.
Is there a way to change the Splunk alert email Content transfer encoding to 7bit?
I have looked at sendemail.py and sendemail_handler.py and cannot see where this is specified, it may be in another conf file or perhaps needs to be explicitly defined in one of those 2 .py files?
Thank you for any help.
RASmith

Labels (1)
0 Karma

rasmith1

If you edit both $SplunkHome\etc\apps\search\bin\sendemail.py and sendemail_handler.py and replace UTF8 with us-ascii, emails are sent with 7bit encoding.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...