Reporting

After upgrading from Splunk 6.1 to 6.3, why am I unable to generate a PDF with error "Splunkd daemon is not responding...The read operation timed out"?

ulikabbq
Path Finder

I am unable to generate a pdf since I upgraded from 6.1 to 6.3. I get this message when I try to export a report to a pdf:

Unable to render PDF.
Exception raised while trying to prepare "Report" for rendering to PDF. Splunkd daemon is not responding: ("Error connecting to /servicesNS/admin/search/search/parser: ('The read operation timed out',)",)

It is able to export a CSV with no issues.

When I have the report set to send an email with a PDF attachment. I get this error:

An error occurred while generating the PDF. Please see python.log for details

The python log shows a similiar error

sendemail:988 - An error occurred while generating a PDF: Failed to fetch PDF (status = 400): Unable to render PDF.  
  • Exception raised while trying to prepare "Report" for rendering to PDF. Splunkd daemon is not responding: ("Error connecting to /servicesNS/admin/search/search/parser: ('The read operation timed out',)",)

emmanuel_hivert

i have a similar message but code error 1013 in .6.4.3 . i change web.conf or Limits.conf

sendemail:1013 - An error occurred whil
e generating a PDF: Failed to fetch PDF (status = 400): Unable to render PDF.

• Exception raised while trying to prepare "Liste des IP à surveiller"
    for rendering to PDF. Splunkd daemon is not responding: ("Error connecting to
    /servicesNS/admin/Reverse/search/parser: ('The read operation timed out',)",)</

0 Karma

abhullar_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Look for the following setting under limits.conf and increase the timeout:

render_endpoint_timeout =
* The number of seconds after which the pdfgen render endpoint will timeout if
it has not yet finished rendering the PDF output
* Defaults to 3600

0 Karma

jdswanson
Explorer

Check the update from sgarvin55 here: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/39685/pdfserver-the-read-operation-timed-out-on-dashboard-renderi... Looks like you might want to adjust the SplunkdConnectionTimeout in web.conf.

0 Karma

ulikabbq
Path Finder

well I changed the timeout in the web.conf to 60 sec and it doesn't seem to wait that long.

I don't have any issue exporting to any other format, but the pdf generator is not working for me on 6.3. I have about 40+ reports that are staggered throughout the night and they send pdf reports to people. Only about 10% of those worked last night, and the cpu got pegged out in the process.

0 Karma

jdswanson
Explorer

Ever have any luck with this?

0 Karma

ulikabbq
Path Finder

There is a issue exporting reports with subsearches to pdf. They timeout every time. Even thought the search will execute the report will never generate a pdf. I have a bug filed with Splunk on this issue. For now I was able to rewrite most of my searches to not use a subsearch and the ones I couldn't are just generating csv files for now.

0 Karma

erikgrasman
Engager

We experience the samen issues, did you get a reply from Splunk, solution or solution expected in release 6.3.x?

0 Karma

ChrisLH
Explorer

We are working on Splunk 6.6 with a similar issue, did you people find a solution that except for removing sub searches / editing web.conf ?

0 Karma

ulikabbq
Path Finder

ok. a couple splunk restarts seemed to clear this issue up

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...