Reporting

After upgrading from Splunk 6.1 to 6.3, why am I unable to generate a PDF with error "Splunkd daemon is not responding...The read operation timed out"?

ulikabbq
Path Finder

I am unable to generate a pdf since I upgraded from 6.1 to 6.3. I get this message when I try to export a report to a pdf:

Unable to render PDF.
Exception raised while trying to prepare "Report" for rendering to PDF. Splunkd daemon is not responding: ("Error connecting to /servicesNS/admin/search/search/parser: ('The read operation timed out',)",)

It is able to export a CSV with no issues.

When I have the report set to send an email with a PDF attachment. I get this error:

An error occurred while generating the PDF. Please see python.log for details

The python log shows a similiar error

sendemail:988 - An error occurred while generating a PDF: Failed to fetch PDF (status = 400): Unable to render PDF.  
  • Exception raised while trying to prepare "Report" for rendering to PDF. Splunkd daemon is not responding: ("Error connecting to /servicesNS/admin/search/search/parser: ('The read operation timed out',)",)

emmanuel_hivert

i have a similar message but code error 1013 in .6.4.3 . i change web.conf or Limits.conf

sendemail:1013 - An error occurred whil
e generating a PDF: Failed to fetch PDF (status = 400): Unable to render PDF.

• Exception raised while trying to prepare "Liste des IP à surveiller"
    for rendering to PDF. Splunkd daemon is not responding: ("Error connecting to
    /servicesNS/admin/Reverse/search/parser: ('The read operation timed out',)",)</

0 Karma

abhullar_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Look for the following setting under limits.conf and increase the timeout:

render_endpoint_timeout =
* The number of seconds after which the pdfgen render endpoint will timeout if
it has not yet finished rendering the PDF output
* Defaults to 3600

0 Karma

jdswanson
Explorer

Check the update from sgarvin55 here: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/39685/pdfserver-the-read-operation-timed-out-on-dashboard-renderi... Looks like you might want to adjust the SplunkdConnectionTimeout in web.conf.

0 Karma

ulikabbq
Path Finder

well I changed the timeout in the web.conf to 60 sec and it doesn't seem to wait that long.

I don't have any issue exporting to any other format, but the pdf generator is not working for me on 6.3. I have about 40+ reports that are staggered throughout the night and they send pdf reports to people. Only about 10% of those worked last night, and the cpu got pegged out in the process.

0 Karma

jdswanson
Explorer

Ever have any luck with this?

0 Karma

ulikabbq
Path Finder

There is a issue exporting reports with subsearches to pdf. They timeout every time. Even thought the search will execute the report will never generate a pdf. I have a bug filed with Splunk on this issue. For now I was able to rewrite most of my searches to not use a subsearch and the ones I couldn't are just generating csv files for now.

0 Karma

erikgrasman
Engager

We experience the samen issues, did you get a reply from Splunk, solution or solution expected in release 6.3.x?

0 Karma

ChrisLH
Explorer

We are working on Splunk 6.6 with a similar issue, did you people find a solution that except for removing sub searches / editing web.conf ?

0 Karma

ulikabbq
Path Finder

ok. a couple splunk restarts seemed to clear this issue up

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...