Monitoring Splunk

Why were the logs from existing files not displayed before adding new files to the directory?

sophiacyh
Explorer

Hello splunk community!

For some context, I started by adding some files into a directory first, then i configured the monitor processor of the splunk universal forwarder in inputs.conf  to monitor the directory. However, (after restarting splunk universal forwarder) when i searched for the index in splunk enterprise, there were no search results. Afterwards, i added some new files to the directory and suddenly the logs appeared on the search and what confuses me is that it does contain logs from the existing files in the directory.

is anyone able to explain why the logs of existing files didnt appear in the first place? and only appeared after i added new files to the directory?

Thank you in advance!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...