Monitoring Splunk

What is this behavior in Windows 7: splunk list deploy-clients error ospath_fopen?

sjwone
Explorer

I'm seeing the below behavior in a Windows 7 environment. Any ideas?

C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin>.\splunk list deploy-clients
Operation "ospath_fopen" failed in .\conf-mutator-locking.c:254, conf_mutator_lo
ck(); No error

Labels (1)
Tags (2)

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

YOu can stop splunk and run ' splunk clean locks' and that should fix this. However this is typical related to starting Splunk without proper permissions, or as a different user, and then restarting as the original user.

Another potential issue could be open file limits on the linux side.. not sure on the windows.

sh254087
Communicator

I was getting similar error while trying to start the splunk service - "Operation "ospath_fopen" failed in /opt/splunk/src/libzero/conf-mutator-locking.c:338, conf_mutator_lock(); Permission denied" and the service start was failing.

Following your suggestion, tried - "<splunk_home>/bin/splunk clean locks" and tried starting the service. It worked without issues; service was started, and the Web UI came up as well. Many thanks to you.

Splunk Enterprise Version: 9.0.4.1

0 Karma

cker

Had same issue. Running powershell/cmd as admin user worked for me.

0 Karma

ben_leung
Builder

Also same issue with linux, version 5.0.3 universal forwarder

Operation "ospath_fopen" failed in /opt/splunk/p4/splunk/branches/5.0.3/src/libzero/conf-mutator-locking.c:254, conf_mutator_lock(); Permission denied

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...