Monitoring Splunk

What is the expected performance for KV store with over 5 million entries for these search head specs?

Lucas_K
Motivator

Does anyone have any ball park performance figures for what a kv store should perform like with 5mill+ entries for the specs below?

I have a kv store with around 5.5 million entries and it takes over 5 minutes to return from a simple lookup search.

ie. | localop |inputlookup session_kv | stats count

Runtime : 326 seconds.

This is running on a standalone hardware search head Splunk v6.4.1 Linux x64.

Basic System specs
100GB ram.
16 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X6550 @ 2.00GHz

DMC info
Collection size 7901MB
Acceleration size 577MB
Resident memory 8307MB
Virtual memory 21000MB

I've tried tweaking some of the available limits.conf settings, but lookup speed has not varied by much.

limits.conf

[default]
max_mem_usage_mb = 10000

[kvstore]
max_queries_per_batch =  20000
max_rows_per_query = 1000000
max_queries_per_batch = 20000
max_size_per_result_mb = 1000
max_accelerations_per_collection = 0 
max_fields_per_acceleration = 0
max_threads_per_outputlookup = 0

I don't know of any other things I should do to try and improve the kv's performance.

Ideas?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Lucas_K
Motivator

In Summary on a hardware search head
100GB ram.

Baseline query : between 500k-1million returned lines per min
Upsert (insert/update) query : between 1400-1800 records per min (combined across all concurrent same collection stores) using an accelerated key.

With this knowledge I can now try and develop a job schedule to see if I can get this kv store to function over the time frames I require by splitting the updates so that writes are spread across as much time as possible.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

In Summary on a hardware search head
100GB ram.

Baseline query : between 500k-1million returned lines per min
Upsert (insert/update) query : between 1400-1800 records per min (combined across all concurrent same collection stores) using an accelerated key.

With this knowledge I can now try and develop a job schedule to see if I can get this kv store to function over the time frames I require by splitting the updates so that writes are spread across as much time as possible.

0 Karma

asohahn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try adding the field you want to lookup to accelerated_fields in collections.conf. The key field will be accelerated by default but the field you want to lookup is not. http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/Admin/Collectionsconf#collections.conf.example

[mycollection]

field.foo = number
field.bar = string
accelerated_fields.myacceleration = {"foo": 1, "bar": -1}

I was able to load a 6M+ rows of csv data (Korea postal code) on my macbook pro machine and lookup returned almost right away when accelerated. It took more than few minutes without acceleration and I had to force stop.

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

Thanks. All the fields we are using are already accelerated.

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

I've tried turning on acceleration for a number of fields and for ~500k kv store rows it still takes 30+ seconds to return 😞

This search has completed and has returned 511,836 results by scanning 0 events in 38.708 seconds.

edit: ok i've just tried it locally on my pc. splunk 6.4.1. Core i7-4600U, 16GB ram. 512GB ssd.

Collection size 1801MB. Acceleration size 525MB.

This search has completed and has returned 1,431,835 results by scanning 0 events in 70.794 seconds.

alt text

It seems "very unlikely" to be able to recall 6M records in close to what could be called "instantly" using an out of the box install.

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

hmm so 1 minute for 500k lines is acceptable? (according to that post).

That would make my lookup twice as fast as theirs for the same number of objects.

Still looking for information on improving performance.

July 26th edit: so in comparison to that post I am running at double that expected speed already. So i'd guess this is the best I can hope for.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...