Monitoring Splunk

What could be the reason for a spike in CPU Usage in some indexers in a clustered environment?

nawazns5038
Builder

Hi,

I have a clustered environment and it runs smoothly, but sometimes, I see a spike in CPU Usage in some of the indexers up to 70 or 80%.

what would be the reason ?

For what purpose does a Splunk indexer use CPU and what is the ideal CPU usage in an indexer ?

Thanks

0 Karma

vinkumar_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

we need to isolate the reason why this could happen in indexer.

Are you using VMs? If not, check disk health and IOPS, e.g. with Bonnie++

Go to your master and take a look at the DMC, specifically Indexing -> Performance -> Indexing Performance: Instance (select affected indexer)

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/Troubleshooting/Troubleshootindexingperformance

Create a support ticket with splunk if the above doesn't help

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have you correlated the CPU spikes with other activity, like scheduled searches, data model accelerations, etc? Perhaps you have a particularly inefficient or wide-ranging search that is causing the CPU usage.

Indexers use CPU to index data and conduct searches.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...