Monitoring Splunk

Splunk "strategy=" error on startup

OldManEd
Builder

I'm trying to "clean-up" an inherited instance of Splunk before going to release 6.1.3. I've noticed that in the splunkd.log file, when I restart Splunk, I get the following error;

09-15-2014 09:05:41.663 -0700 ERROR AuthenticationManagerLDAP - Could not find user="<UID>" with strategy="SplunkAD"
09-15-2014 09:05:41.664 -0700 ERROR UserManagerPro - Failed to get LDAP user="<UID>" from any configured servers

Does anyone know what's going on here? I've deleted the UID from the "/opt/splunk/etc/users" directory and changed any mention of the UID in "/opt/splunk/etc/apps//metadata/local.meta" to admin.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

OldManEd
Builder

I ran a "grep" from /opt/splunk looking at ~everything~ for the UID - nothing. I reviewed the searches and everything else I could think of looking for the UID causing the error - again nothing. As a last resort I selected the "Jobs" tab from the Splunk search window and entered "App=All” and “Owner-All”. I then entered the UID that has been giving me problems and it came back with 2 entries from 2011. I deleted them both and the errors have stopped.

Thanks for everyone's help on this one.

View solution in original post

OldManEd
Builder

I ran a "grep" from /opt/splunk looking at ~everything~ for the UID - nothing. I reviewed the searches and everything else I could think of looking for the UID causing the error - again nothing. As a last resort I selected the "Jobs" tab from the Splunk search window and entered "App=All” and “Owner-All”. I then entered the UID that has been giving me problems and it came back with 2 entries from 2011. I deleted them both and the errors have stopped.

Thanks for everyone's help on this one.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Usually there's some saved/scheduled search still around under that name. Double-check all the metadata to be sure.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...