Monitoring Splunk

Splunk performance

rgcox1
Communicator

Is Splunk performance better with Raid 1+0 configured across as many spindles as possible, sharing with the OS -- or use separate partitions for Splunk and the OS and/or swap file?

1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

All but the most performance-demanding environments should be fine with the OS sharing spindles with indexes. There isn't that much "OS" I/O on an indexer, especially if there is enough memory to avoid swapping entirely.

But, I would suggest that if you have any machines acting as both search head and indexer (obviously, dedicated search heads are best ... but just in case), that you reserve some spindles to keep the indexes separate from the search dispatch directory. That might be a good example of OS+swap+Splunk product on one set of spindles, and indexes on another. That way, when a search is running, you don't have the same set of drives seeking to read from the indexes and also seeking to write the search results into dispatch.

View solution in original post

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

All but the most performance-demanding environments should be fine with the OS sharing spindles with indexes. There isn't that much "OS" I/O on an indexer, especially if there is enough memory to avoid swapping entirely.

But, I would suggest that if you have any machines acting as both search head and indexer (obviously, dedicated search heads are best ... but just in case), that you reserve some spindles to keep the indexes separate from the search dispatch directory. That might be a good example of OS+swap+Splunk product on one set of spindles, and indexes on another. That way, when a search is running, you don't have the same set of drives seeking to read from the indexes and also seeking to write the search results into dispatch.

rgcox1
Communicator

Thanks - just what I needed to know.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...