Monitoring Splunk

Should I Turn on Hyperthreading with Splunk?

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

My Intel processor supports hyperthreading, which should provide more performance. Should I turn on hyperthreading while using Splunk?

0 Karma
1 Solution

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, definitely! Splunk, like most solutions, enjoys about a 20-30% performance boost when you turn on Hyperthreading. It's important to note, though, that this is not a doubling of performance.

Note that if you run top (or Windows Task Manager, or etc.), it will appear that you have twice as many CPU cores as you actually do. With the default simultaneous search settings, that means if you have a 16 core system and you turn on HT, you will go from running 22 searches (6 + 16) to 38 searches (6 + 16*2). For understanding how that should impact your overall capacity planning, please check the Capacity Planning documentation. As always, you should monitor the performance of your systems and searches using tools like the Distributed Management Console, Search Activity app, etc.

View solution in original post

David
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, definitely! Splunk, like most solutions, enjoys about a 20-30% performance boost when you turn on Hyperthreading. It's important to note, though, that this is not a doubling of performance.

Note that if you run top (or Windows Task Manager, or etc.), it will appear that you have twice as many CPU cores as you actually do. With the default simultaneous search settings, that means if you have a 16 core system and you turn on HT, you will go from running 22 searches (6 + 16) to 38 searches (6 + 16*2). For understanding how that should impact your overall capacity planning, please check the Capacity Planning documentation. As always, you should monitor the performance of your systems and searches using tools like the Distributed Management Console, Search Activity app, etc.

AGLbwa
Path Finder

So a follow-up to this would be (especially given cloud vendors moving to tout vCPUs (i.e. hyperthreaded)) are there any other auto-tunables (or autotuned by default) that would cause performance problems because a 32 vCPU VM only has 20 cores worth of performance but reports 32 cores? What about for indexers?

0 Karma

hsesterhenn_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just to link the topics...

If you are running Splunk Enterprise in an environment where the difference between physical CPUs and virtual CPUs/threads is visible for SplunkD (e.g. bare metal, AWS, GCP, etc) you will see a higher "virtual" number which will be taken into account by the Splunk-internal engines. 

See limits.conf. 

If you are in a VMware environment and you see physical CPU=virtual CPU, you need to double the vCPU count in your VMware instance settings  to get the same performance because otherwise SplunkD will use less resources. 

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Archive/How-does-Splunk-handle-Hyperthreading-in-a-VMware-environmen...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...