Monitoring Splunk

Query to get average memory usage in linux

AbdurRasheed
Engager

Hi,

I need help in finding the average memory usage of 100+ linux server. we dont have permon in splunk so i cant use that to get the memory data.

We have 1000s of server. For CPU , I somehow found below queries . But couldn't get one for memory usage.

Average CPU :

index=os host=hostname sourcetype=cpu | multikv | search CPU="all" | eval pctCPU=100-pctIdle | stats avg(pctCPU) by host

For max CPU :

index=os sourcetype=top host=hostname |stats max(pctCPU) AS maxCPU by _time, PID, COMMAND|sort -maxCPU

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dave_null
Path Finder

Ultimately you need the memory usage information to appear in a log on the server so that Splunk can work with it. If you don't have a log with this information, then you will have to generate it yourself, either by installing a monitoring software or by running a scripted input.

One potential solution would be to run a scripted input on each linux server, which indexes the result of the "free -m" command. (perhaps with a grep to get a single line)

To do this, make an app or modify an app that is deployed to your linux servers. 

Here is the stanza for the inputs.conf of the app: (insert app name, index, interval, and sourcetype name below)

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<appName>/bin/getmem.sh]
disabled = false
index = ????
interval = 60
sourcetype = ????

Here is the code for the script: (save to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<appname>/bin/getmem.sh 

#!/bin/bash
free -m | grep "Mem"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dave_null
Path Finder

Ultimately you need the memory usage information to appear in a log on the server so that Splunk can work with it. If you don't have a log with this information, then you will have to generate it yourself, either by installing a monitoring software or by running a scripted input.

One potential solution would be to run a scripted input on each linux server, which indexes the result of the "free -m" command. (perhaps with a grep to get a single line)

To do this, make an app or modify an app that is deployed to your linux servers. 

Here is the stanza for the inputs.conf of the app: (insert app name, index, interval, and sourcetype name below)

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<appName>/bin/getmem.sh]
disabled = false
index = ????
interval = 60
sourcetype = ????

Here is the code for the script: (save to $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<appname>/bin/getmem.sh 

#!/bin/bash
free -m | grep "Mem"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...