Monitoring Splunk

Monitoring lookup file, adding duplicate records - Sideview Utils The lookup Updater

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi All,

I have a lookup file which changes frequently. Currently, we are have a base csv file physically on the server. Any changes are made to the server copy of csv file and then the update CSV file is uploaded to Splunk as lookup table, so that lookup file always have current data.
The drawback of this is that I can't keep track of changes within splunk ( I can log them in a file but that's an overhead.
Lookup file format
field1,field2,field3

The solution that I was trying was this

1. Add history related fields like changed_date, changed_by in the base CSV file

changed_date,field1,field2,field3,changed_by

2. Add this base CSV file as lookup table file in another app (say MgmtApp).

3. Have Splunk monitor this base CSV lookup file in the MgmtApp in an index, say lookupHistory.

4. Use "Sideview Util -The Lookup Updater" to add/update data (data is not deleted) in base CSV lookup file. All changes (add/updated) should go to lookupHistory index with updated timestamp.

5. Use a scheduled search to take latest value of field1,field2,field3 combination and use outputlookup command to generate actualy lookup file in another app (say MainApp).

In theory this approach looked fine as I was having history data and a way to have latest lookup file will less manualy intervention. But the problem that I am facing is that, everytime I add/update a row using the "Lookup Updater" view, Splunk is re-indexing whole base CSV file (say initial event count in index=lookupHistory is 50, I add a new row, total event count in becomes 101, if I update a value now, it becomes 152).

Is there a way to instruct Splunk to just index new/updated data and not to re-index whole file?
Or If you have any suggestion to what I am trying to achieve, that will be appreciated.

1 Solution

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Alright. Yes in hindsight it's a huge feature that was missing. I'll add something to my queue to log changes. Probably via its own standalone log in /var/log/splunk.

View solution in original post

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Alright. Yes in hindsight it's a huge feature that was missing. I'll add something to my queue to log changes. Probably via its own standalone log in /var/log/splunk.

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks. awaiting your new release.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You got it right on the money 🙂
The lookup updater itself was a very good tool, having this fearue (storing history) will make it pretty useful.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Am I right in thinking that the core requirement here is auditability/visibility of admin changes to the lookup? That you need to know who changes the lookup when and how?
It sounds like a good general feature that the Lookup Updater is currently lacking.

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The values to be updated manually in the base CSV file (that's the reason I was tried Lookup Updater so that updates can be done from UI instead of manual file change and upload to SPlunk Server). Another option (I guess you're suggesting the same) is to index the base CSV file and next time just keep indexing new changes (instead of monitoring of file it will be one time indexing for every change) and than write a search to get latest values into lookup (using outputlookup command). But this still left me with manual change of file, copying file to Splunk Server and indexing it manually.

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

Can't you use outputlookup and keep all the records rather than updating it? index and Dedup all the records to get the latest record. But you need to add new columns you specified to keep track of them..

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Its a file which holds today's rate and updated daily by users with admin role. I have 6 such files

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

Who updates the lookup file?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...