Monitoring Splunk

Monitor last updated time stamp for trace file and generate alert if the file is not updated in the last 45 min.

CaptainHook
Communicator

Can somebody please educate me on how I can set up a monitor for this type of request?
The requirement is to check the last time stamp updated at the end of the file. (NOT the time stamp on the file). Check the last updated time stamp for trace file and generate alert if the file is not updated in the last 45 min.

(d:\Program Files (x86)\CA\log\xxxx.trace)
Thanks in advance

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just monitor the file and make sure timestamps are extracted from the data. Put it into a specific index like "caTracer".

Then run a search on caTracer with latest=-45m and create an alert that triggers if number of results equals 0.

If you provide sample data from the file, we can help you extract the timestamp correctly from the data.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Just monitor the file and make sure timestamps are extracted from the data. Put it into a specific index like "caTracer".

Then run a search on caTracer with latest=-45m and create an alert that triggers if number of results equals 0.

If you provide sample data from the file, we can help you extract the timestamp correctly from the data.

0 Karma

CaptainHook
Communicator

Thank you, that makes simple sense of the monitor.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I see you posted sample events... do you need any help extracting time?

0 Karma

CaptainHook
Communicator

That would be a great help, if you don't mind.

0 Karma

jensonthottian
Contributor

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.0/Data/MonitorChangestoYourFileSystem-

Monitor file system

[fschange:]
signedaudit = false
index=_audit

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

He said NOT the timestamp of the file.

0 Karma

jensonthottian
Contributor

can you provide a sample event for the same, if its not the timestamp then it must be another field which is corresponding to "last updated time".

0 Karma

jensonthottian
Contributor

yes this should work too if you jusr monitoring the changes to a file- http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.0/Data/MonitorChangestoYourFileSystem

0 Karma

CaptainHook
Communicator
[2688][6200][05/09/2016][11:52:19.194][_new][][][CSmMessage::ParseAgentMessage][SmMessage.cpp:514][][Receive request attribute 166, data size is 3][][][][][][][128][][][][][][][]
[2688][6200][05/09/2016][11:52:19.194][_new][][][CSmMessage::ParseAgentMessage][SmMessage.cpp:514][][Receive request attribute 148, data size is 1][][][][][][][1][][][][][][][]
[2688][6200][05/09/2016][11:52:19.194][_new][][][CSmMessage::ParseAgentMessage][SmMessage.cpp:514][][Receive request attribute 149, data size is 0][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[2688][6200][05/09/2016][11:52:19.194][_new][][][CSmMessage::ParseAgentMessage][SmMessage.cpp:514][][Receive request attribute 145, data size is 1618][][][][][][][

I am thinking that we can only go by the timestamp in the file to monitor on these events...

0 Karma

CaptainHook
Communicator

I have been trying to determine if http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.0/Data/MonitorChangestoYourFileSystem would be an appropriate path to venture down.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...