Monitoring Splunk

MC Health Check reports a different ulimit than the current server

ricotries
Communicator

I have a RHEL 6.10 Splunk server and currently have the following configuration in /etc/security/limits.d/ for open file descriptors:

root        soft    nofile    64512
root        hard    nofile    80896

But when I run the Monitoring Console Health Check, it reports that the current ulimit.open_files = 4096. I tried using * instead of root but that didn't change anything.

I have seen this issue brought up but for RHEL 7.x that uses systemd instead of SysV.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ricotries
Communicator

I was able to permanently solve this by altering /etc/init.d/splunk. Placing the following at the beginning of the splunk_start() and splunk_restart() functions applies the changes at boot or when invoking an init script through service (no point in setting them when requesting a service status or stop):

ulimit -Sn 64514 2> /dev/null
ulimit -Hn 80896 2> /dev/null

When placing these limit settings within /etc/security/limits.d/ or limits.conf, Splunk for some reason doesn't inherit them, regardless of the user assigned to run Splunk, but changing the init file for Splunk seems to do the trick.

NOTE: This approach does not work if you restart Splunk using /$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk start|restart, as this starts|restarts the software without calling its init file. For this approach to work you need to use "service splunk start|restart"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ricotries
Communicator

I was able to permanently solve this by altering /etc/init.d/splunk. Placing the following at the beginning of the splunk_start() and splunk_restart() functions applies the changes at boot or when invoking an init script through service (no point in setting them when requesting a service status or stop):

ulimit -Sn 64514 2> /dev/null
ulimit -Hn 80896 2> /dev/null

When placing these limit settings within /etc/security/limits.d/ or limits.conf, Splunk for some reason doesn't inherit them, regardless of the user assigned to run Splunk, but changing the init file for Splunk seems to do the trick.

NOTE: This approach does not work if you restart Splunk using /$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk start|restart, as this starts|restarts the software without calling its init file. For this approach to work you need to use "service splunk start|restart"

0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @ricotries,

configure it directly in /etc/security/limits.conf file :

root soft nofile 64514
root hard nofile 80896

and reboot the machine.

# grep files /proc/$(pgrep bash)/limits
Max open files            64514                80896                files    

Let me know how it went.

0 Karma

ricotries
Communicator

Before even writing it directly at /etc/security/limits.conf, checking Bash limits show the limits are the ones set under etc/security/limits.d/

When applied directly in etc/security/limits.conf there are no changes, Splunk processes still show soft/hard limits are equal to 4096.

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

Did you cycle Splunk after making the changes?

You can also put the ulimit settings directly in the init script at /etc/init.d/splunk

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

PavelP
Motivator

Hello @ricotries,

do you run Splunk as root user?

1. Login on RHEL 6 via ssh
  2. find the splunk process id with

pgrep splunk

3. find effective limits with (replace NNN with a process ID):

cat cat /proc/NNN/limits

0 Karma

ricotries
Communicator

Hey @PavelP, yes I currently run Splunk as root. All processes associated with Splunk currently have a limit of 4096 like MC is reporting (following your directions).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...