Monitoring Splunk

License slave indexing data but showing "0%" license used on license master.

mgiddens
Path Finder

Hello,

I have a license slave that is an indexer. (actually 2, these indexers are clustered)
One indexer is currently indexing data just fine but shows "0%" on the license master under the Licensing section in the configured license pool.
The other indexer in the pool (the other index cluster member) is just fine; reporting accurate percentage used.

I looked in the license_usage.log on the license manager but I do not see the indexer in question anywhere in the logs; I do see the other indexer in the pool showing a percentage used on the license manager.

On the indexer in question, under licensing, all settings are correct to slave it to the license master, and if I refresh, It will show the last communicated time increase up until it hits a minute then starts over,,, so I know its checking in with license manager every minute as it should.

Any reason why the indexer / license slave is not showing percentage of license used?

Thanks,
mgiddens

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

mgiddens
Path Finder

Never posted the answer here. This issue was due to the fact I wasnt't forwarding my license master's internal logs to my index cluster.

• I configured "outputs.conf" file in "/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/outputs.conf" to forward from license master to index cluster.
  • License usage started to reset at midnight again.

Thanks for all the advice and hope someone would find this useful someday.

mgiddens

View solution in original post

0 Karma

mgiddens
Path Finder

Never posted the answer here. This issue was due to the fact I wasnt't forwarding my license master's internal logs to my index cluster.

• I configured "outputs.conf" file in "/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/outputs.conf" to forward from license master to index cluster.
  • License usage started to reset at midnight again.

Thanks for all the advice and hope someone would find this useful someday.

mgiddens

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

What's your settings in your license slave & license master? Any errors shown in your other indexer

License Master server.conf should contain

[license]
active_group = Enterprise

All other systems server.conf should contain

[license]
master_uri = {{license_master_uri}}
0 Karma

mgiddens
Path Finder

Thank you for your response koshyk.

License master and slaves have the stanzas set as you mentioned in your post.
I also did a side by side comparison on server.conf between the one working and the one not working; they are the same.

I did a splunk server restart; no change.

I looked at the server in questions license_usage log; it does indicate as of today even to view license usage, check the license_usage.log on the license master (then it list the correct license master a the end of the log entry).

So it seems the indexer is pushing the info to the license master and not recording it locally; but the percentage used showing in the license pool shows 0% for that server.

0 Karma

koshyk
Super Champion

please also check if there is any difference in server.conf using btool between two servers

0 Karma

mgiddens
Path Finder

Is this because I have my indexers clustered?
I should still show a percentage used for each of my indexers in my index cluster on the license master UI if the forwarders are load balancing their forwarding to each indexer right? (and again I have confirmed the splunk instances are load balancing between the two indexes when they send their internal logs over to the indexers).

Thanks again.

mgiddens

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...