Monitoring Splunk

Issues Monitoring Fast Rotating Logs - UNIX

glancaster
Path Finder

Hi All,

I am running into a few errors on my host that is monitoring some logs in RHEL. One of the logs in question could write, fill up, close and rewrite again, all within a second.

A few errors in my splunkd on the host:

05-12-2014 13:25:29.087 -0700 ERROR WatchedFile - Error reading file 'LOG LOCATION': Stale NFS file handle

05-12-2014 13:25:29.087 -0700 ERROR TailingProcessor - error from read call from 'LOG LOCATION'.

05-12-2014 13:26:24.187 -0700 INFO WatchedFile - File too small to check seekcrc, probably truncated. Will re-read entire file='LOG LOCATION'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am running crcSalt = and am still experiencing the problem. I've looked throughout Answers but Im not sure exactly what is causing this problem, if it's a problem with the speed at which the file is written to, an issue where Splunk thinks it has already read the file or something else.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is unlikely the crcSalt option is going to help you in this case. This sounds like a fairly classic race condition. One of the things splunk does is to stat(2) a file to see if the modtime / size has changed. If your files are completely changing in a very short period of time, then it could be changed out-from-under splunk between the stat() call and the open() call.

It probably won't work, but you can try the time_before_close option and the always_open_file options in inputs.conf. These may help (but most likely will not - race conditions are hard)

View solution in original post

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It is unlikely the crcSalt option is going to help you in this case. This sounds like a fairly classic race condition. One of the things splunk does is to stat(2) a file to see if the modtime / size has changed. If your files are completely changing in a very short period of time, then it could be changed out-from-under splunk between the stat() call and the open() call.

It probably won't work, but you can try the time_before_close option and the always_open_file options in inputs.conf. These may help (but most likely will not - race conditions are hard)

amrit
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Agreed. There's nothing you can do here other than to increase the amount of the time the file sticks around.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...