Monitoring Splunk

Is there any trick that would enable me to do tstats on _indextime?

PickleRick
Ultra Champion

I have some sources which can have significant (up to several hours) delay from the time of the event itself to the time the source transmits the event to my collector/forwarder/whatever there is.

After my splunk infrastructure receives the event, there is no significant delay (up to 30 seconds usually) from the receive time to indexing time so we won't get into that too deeply.

The problem is that I can either have the ingest time/index time parsed out as _time (which of course completely messes up with any analytics regarding the "real life" events) or the event's internal time field, which prevents me from doing any stats on the actual transmission performance.

I can of course "dig" the _indextime from the events (it's fascinating though that I can't display the _indextime directly but have to do some magic like evaluating other field to the _indextime value) but with dozens of millions events it's quite heavy on the system.

I can of course do very light summary calculations against _time using tstats. But the problem is that tstats works with span only against _time field.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

The Splunk Success Framework: Your Guide to Successful Splunk Implementations

Splunk Lantern is a customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Splunk Training for All: Meet Aspiring Cybersecurity Analyst, Marc Alicea

Splunk Education believes in the value of training and certification in today’s rapidly-changing data-driven ...

Investigate Security and Threat Detection with VirusTotal and Splunk Integration

As security threats and their complexities surge, security analysts deal with increased challenges and ...