Monitoring Splunk

Is there any trick that would enable me to do tstats on _indextime?

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have some sources which can have significant (up to several hours) delay from the time of the event itself to the time the source transmits the event to my collector/forwarder/whatever there is.

After my splunk infrastructure receives the event, there is no significant delay (up to 30 seconds usually) from the receive time to indexing time so we won't get into that too deeply.

The problem is that I can either have the ingest time/index time parsed out as _time (which of course completely messes up with any analytics regarding the "real life" events) or the event's internal time field, which prevents me from doing any stats on the actual transmission performance.

I can of course "dig" the _indextime from the events (it's fascinating though that I can't display the _indextime directly but have to do some magic like evaluating other field to the _indextime value) but with dozens of millions events it's quite heavy on the system.

I can of course do very light summary calculations against _time using tstats. But the problem is that tstats works with span only against _time field.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...