Monitoring Splunk

Is there a way to create an alert if splunkd on any Splunk instance is started by any user except "splunk user"?

bishtk
Communicator

Hi Guys,

In my project environment, every splunkd is installed using splunk user. So I need to create an alert if any splunkd on any splunk server (enterprise or UF) gets started with root or any other user post boot or if anyone starts it with any other user than splunk.

Please suggest.

-Thanks

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @bishtk,

you could create a script that runs the ps command (e.g. in Linux) on the system to monitor, then Forwarder send results to Splunk and you can analyze the result.

If you want, you can also use the script in Splunk_TA-nix.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @bishtk,

you could create a script that runs the ps command (e.g. in Linux) on the system to monitor, then Forwarder send results to Splunk and you can analyze the result.

If you want, you can also use the script in Splunk_TA-nix.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

bishtk
Communicator

Thank you @gcusello . I will go for Splunk_TA_nix option

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @bishtk,

good for yu.

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma

bishtk
Communicator

@gcusello thank you and happy splunking 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...