Monitoring Splunk

I would like to use compression when submitting the MR2 jobs. How do I configure the virtual index provider?

techdiverdown
Path Finder

Cloudera CDH 5.02 and Hunk 6.2 I believe, or whatever is the latest version of both. Anyway, I was trying to turn on snappy compression, which i did from Cloudera, but there are several compression settings that should be pushed from the job level. So here are the configs in the Virtual Index Provider, please verify they are correct. So far I see no performance benefit.

vix.mapreduce.output.fileoutputformat.compress.codec = org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.SnappyCodec
vix.mapreduce.output. fileoutputformat. compress.type = BLOC
vix.mapreduce.output.fileoutputformat. compress = true

Are these correct and if so, why am I seeing no performance difference? I am processing netflow data, each file is about 300 MB for 15 minutes of netflow data. So using a date range and verbose mode, it takes about 10 minutes to process 94 files X 300MB per file. Note the netflow data is not compresses in HDFS. If these need to be compressed on HDFS I assume LZO or Snappy?

Thanks.

0 Karma

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The following settings have no effect on Hunk as we use gzip (not configurable) to compress the mapper output results.

vix.mapreduce.output.fileoutputformat.compress.codec = org.apache.hadoop.io.compress.SnappyCodec 
vix.mapreduce.output. fileoutputformat.compress.type = BLOC     
vix.mapreduce.output.fileoutputformat.compress = true

So using a date range and verbose
mode, it takes about 10 minutes to
process 94 files X 300MB per file.

Any particular reason that you're using verbose mode? This search mode is used primarily for exploratory needs and it is extremely expensive for reporting searches and introduces quite a bit of over head.

If these need to be compressed on HDFS I assume LZO or Snappy?

Yes, there's usually performance benefits from using compressed raw data - I'd recommend Snappy as it generally has better read throughput performance.

What types of searches are you trying to run on the data?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...