Monitoring Splunk

How to resolve error: Instance name used by peer is already in use on Splunk Indexer+Search Head

deepak02
Path Finder

Hi,

I am trying a Splunk POC on my personal machine with the following setup,
ARCHITECTURE DIAGRAM attached here

1. One universal splunk forwarder running on Linux Ubuntu(running on VMWare on Windows) - installed universal splunk forwarder.
  2. One search head+indexer running on Mac OS - installed Splunk enterprise

When I run splunk web, I am getting the below errors in the GUI (Attachment: Splunk_Distributed search error)
'Unable to connect to peer 12.3.3.5:8089 as status=DOWN'
'Instance name used by peer is already in use'
alt text

ERROR IN SCREENSHOT (INCASE IT IS NOT CLEAR):

Error [00800000] instance name "abc-MacBook-Air.local" used by peers is already in use by the search head. Review the serverName setting in server.conf to resolve this issue. Last connect time: 2017-01-30T19:51:53.000-05:00;Failed 8 out of 9 times.

NOTE: The below values are getting populated automatically in the server.conf files when I start up the indexer and forwarder. So it looks like the connection is established.

Forwarders - whole of server.conf created after forwarder is started up
Index+Search Head - server.conf: pass4SymmKey added, sslconfig added.

NOTE 2:
I do not have enough karma to attach files. If you need to see any of the conf files, please let me know, and I will post it in the comments.

@admin:
The ip addresses are representative and are not real.
Please give me access to add attachments as the .conf files are important for debugging.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

deepak02
Path Finder

The error was occurring because I was trying to use a single Splunk instance as both Indexer and Forwarder. Hence closing.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

deepak02
Path Finder

The error was occurring because I was trying to use a single Splunk instance as both Indexer and Forwarder. Hence closing.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...