Monitoring Splunk

How does the addinfo command work with time?

Esky73
Builder

The new fields that are created when using the addinfo cmd

info_min_time The earliest time boundary for the search.
info_max_time The latest time boundary for the search.

How are they calculated ?

I've used the Example 2 as detailed here to create a search : http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.2/SearchReference/Addinfo

Looking to find more info as to what the new created fields do.

thx

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@Esky73, | addinfo command adds search related metadata info to the search results so that the same can be reused. I think the documentation is fairly detailed as to what each for the info_* fields do

info_min_time         : Earliest time selected for the search you ran (this would be the earliest time from the Time Picker that you run or else if you have used `earliest` parameter in the base search) 

info_max_time         : Latest time selected for the search you ran (this would be the latest time from the Time Picker that you run or else if you have used `latest` parameter in the base search)

info_sid              : The Search ID of the search job that generated the event/s. This will help you re-run the search or pull the results from the search using this ID. (REST endpoints reference are listed here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/RESTTUT/RESTsearches#REST_endpoints_for_searches)

info_search_time      : The time when the Search job was executed. This would be the same as info_max_time when your latest time is `now()` or `@s`

If you want to see these values and understand how they work you can change the second query in the addinfo reference documentation like the following and re-run the search with different Time ranges:

<YourBaseSearch>
| stats latest(_time) AS latest_time BY host
| addinfo
| fieldformat latest_time=strftime(latest_time,"%c")
| fieldformat info_min_time=strftime(info_min_time,"%c")
| fieldformat info_max_time=strftime(info_max_time,"%c")
| fieldformat info_search_time=strftime(info_search_time,"%c")
| table host latest info_*

Actually in the query the pipe | eval latest_age = info_max_time - latest_time, is used to calculate theage of last event received per host, using latest event received per host (i.e. latest_time) by subtracting it from latest time which is being seen usinglatest from the time range picker` (i.e. info_max_time). Let us know if you require further details.

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...