Monitoring Splunk

How do I fix: 'litsearch' command: Unable to parse the search: unbalanced parentheses?

Mr_Johnson42
Observer

I'm an end user! It appears to be just my user account. we dont seem to be able to find the answer

When I do any search (such as index="med") I get 
"Error in 'litsearch' command: Unable to parse the search: unbalanced parentheses."

When I go through the logs I was surprised to see that such a simple search resulted in

litsearch (index="med" index=nessus ((source="SI - EZproxy" orig_sourcetype="nessus:scan") OR sourcetype="nessus:scan") | lookup Device_Details nt_host as host-fqdn output bunit | search bunit="Medicine") | litsearch (index="med" index=nessus sourcetype=nessus:scan | lookup Device_Details nt_host as host-fqdn output bunit | search bunit="Medicine") | fields  keepcolorder=t "*" "_bkt" "_cd" "_si" "host" "index" "linecount" "source" "sourcetype" "splunk_server"  | remotetl  nb=300 et=1660905790.000000 lt=1660906690.000000 remove=true max_count=1000 max_prefetch=100

While the parenthesis balance, I read somewhere they they have to balance within the pipe (|), which they don't. 

We do indeed have a nessus index and several months ago someone started work on getting nessus reporting dashboard in splunk to work (still ongoing). However I am not sure why a simple search on index=Med would reference "nessus". 

Does the litsearch command look wrong?
Where is it picking up the conf to produce such a command and can it be fixed?

I have tried to create a table view of  "med" and I get no entries rather than an error. I did that because it would be good to see the index to know its not a permission error.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps your role has a Search Filter defined that is causing the error.  If so, work with your Splunk admin to fix it.

Yes, parentheses must match within a pipe.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...